grub password

Gaston Martres gmartres at tech-it.com.ar
Fri Oct 28 23:19:29 UTC 2005

Just add a line in your grub.conf file before the list of kernels, saying:

password you_password_in_clear_text

If you want to encrypt your password, open a terminal, call grub (it
will give you a prompt) and then type:

md5crypt (enter)

It will ask you for a password, then it returns something like:
$1$YAfO81$5Qf64NaiJSqzlPLMlvepw1 wich is your password encrypted in a
MD5 hash.

Then go to your grub.conf and in the password line put the following:

password --md5 $1$YAfO81$5Qf64NaiJSqzlPLMlvepw1

Now you have a password protected boot loader.

Anyway, be carefull, since if you mistake something, you won't be able
to modify parameters at boot time.
Always have a Rescue CD at hand.

Good luck.

Gaston Martres