Smartd message: What does it mean?

Danny Terweij - Net Tuning | Net d.terweij at nettuning.net
Sat Oct 29 02:47:47 UTC 2005

From: "Craig White" <craigwhite at azapple.com>

> > I have 2 machines with such messages  and hdd's just running fine for 2+
> > years. If ext2/3 fs is not marking such sectors as "bad, i dont use it

> Generally, when I get a hard drive with some bad blocks, it seems to
> indicate that things are going downhill and the drive isn't trustworthy
> and given the price of hard drives, it's almost always easier/less
> painful to copy it, replace it and the bonus is, you get high tech
> paperweight.

If the bad sectors are not growing and hdd is heavy used at read/write and
just 1 sector is bad and it is still running 2+ years... i dont buy a new
hdd :) I only know that HDD's the last years (since 1Gb drives where
invented) are absolutly not reaching the lifetime of the first old
"20Mb-540Mb HDD's"). On a old play machine i still use HDD's in the age of
at least 15 years old. At present days if i buy a new hdd then it will die
within 2 years in general. Always wondered why :)

In short, high tech paperweight is not always a sollution in the financial
picture :P

Anyway, thats another story :P