Smartd message: What does it mean?

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Sat Oct 29 02:43:03 UTC 2005

On Friday 28 October 2005 22:26, Danny Terweij - Net Tuning | Net wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have 2 machines with such messages  and hdd's just running fine for 2+
> years. If ext2/3 fs is not marking such sectors as "bad, i dont use it
> anymore" then its about time that such things are going to be developed
> right? I do not want to replace a HDD if just 1 sector is marked bad at
> smartd. The smartd message is only showing up after a reboot overhere.
>
> Danny.
>From the man page of smartd:
A pending sector is a disk sector (containing 512 bytes of your data) which
the device would like to mark as ``bad" and reallocate. Typically this is
because your computer tried to read that sector, and the read failed because
the data on it has been corrupted and has inconsistent Error Checking and
Correction (ECC) codes. This is important to know, because it means that
there is some unreadable data on the disk. The problem of figuring out what
file this data belongs to is operating system and file system specific. You
can typically force the sector to reallocate by writing to it (translation:
make the device substitute a spare good sector for the bad one) but at the
price of losing the 512 bytes of data stored there.

In other words, the data that's there is already gone (unless in some very
rare cases reallocating works later).  What is ext2/3 supposed to do about
that? The drive is supposed to take care of it and remap to a spare sector.
Look at hdparm -D . Scsi drives willingly reveal their defect list - Not sure
how to read it on an ide disk though.

The main reason for worrying about a single sector is that this is a sector
that has failed not just one read, but all read attempts made by the drive.
If it was a soft error and eventually the drive had recovered the data then
you'd just see the info if you use smartctl - but you don't have any
immediate issues. No drive is perfect and some remapping always goes on.
If you however  have a hard error and have pending sectors its a sign that
something more serious than normal use has happened with the drive and now it
is not a question of IF your drive fails but if you got a day or a week or a
month before it really goes. Many people are lucky but in the office (where
we've got about 400 linux boxes, many with more than 1 drive) the stats show
that between the first pending sectors and the final drive failure its an
average of about 5 weeks. Enjoy :-)

Anyway, reallocation of blocks is something the drive has to handle not the
filesystem.

Peter.