Finally adding that swap file

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Oct 29 04:03:42 UTC 2005

On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 03:03:35 +0200,
  Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have one hard disk with three partions: /, /boot, and /home. I want
> to add a swap file on the /home partion, because it has the most
> available space. I found lots of pages where it gives instructions on
> how to add the file, but they all seem to want to put the file on /.

There does seem to be some sort of problem with it not being on /. The
swapon -a during boot doesn't seem to turn on swapfiles on other partitions
even though as far as I can tell they should be mounted by that point.
swapon -a after boot does pick them up.
I didn't pursue this too far, so I might have missed something. For the
time being I put a swap file on both / and another file system (on a second
disk). The one on / gives me enough swap space for normal use and I can
turn on the other one manually after reboots.