How to test NIC performance?

Dan Hensley dan at dshensley.com
Sat Oct 29 04:06:29 UTC 2005

Since my first post about this got no replies, I'll rephrase.

I am experiencing extremely high latency with my network interface.  AMD
X2 64, Gigabyte K8N Pro-SLI, using the built-in gigabit NIC which I
believe is using the forcedeth driver.

Transfer speeds are fine, but latency is ridiculous.  Does the forcedeth
driver have known issues like this?  Do I need to invest in different
hardware?

I'm not sure how to test the performance of my NIC to try to
troubleshoot why this is so bad.  Can someone point me in the right
direction?

Thanks,
Dan