[TIP] core web font installer

Michael Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Oct 29 11:30:18 UTC 2005

Hi guys -

I wrote a small script for the purpose of fetching and installing the Microsoft Core Web fonts.

There's a sourceforge project for it too, but I think my way is better. It's certainly easier.

It either creates an rpm for you on the fly (if you have a multi-user system and want the fonts available for all users), or you can have it just dump the fonts into your ~/.fonts directory.

It also asks you want fonts you want installed - four of them I don't want because I have substitutes that are better, for example - and I want fontconfig to make those substitutes (which it won't do if the real font is installed)

The script does not need to be run as root.
If you choose the rpm option, the resulting rpm will of course need to be installed as root.

It uses zenity (part of gnome) and it needs cabextract installed (in extras - yum install cabextract)

to grab it and use it -

wget http://homepage.mac.com/mpeters/misc/coreweb_font_installer.sh.gz
gunzip coreweb_font_installer.sh.gz
sh coreweb_font_installer.sh