amarok 1.3.5 and mysql???

Michael Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Oct 29 11:33:59 UTC 2005

On Saturday, October 29, 2005, at 04:12AM, Andy Pieters <mailings at vlaamse-kern.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Although it might be quite a bit of work IMHO it is best that you compile
>amaroK yourself.
>
>It should be noted that amaroK does NOT depend on MySQL.  In fact, amaroK uses
>standard a PostgreSQL database and can be compiled with MySQL support.
>
>amaroK does crash often if there are incosistencies between the several
>components and dependencies.  For that reason, I downloaded and compiled all
>dependencies seperatly and proceeded to compile amaroK.  Always use the same
>compiler and compile on the same machine.
>
>Further questions are best addressed to the amaroK mailing list.

The MySQL dependency sounds to me like a packaging mistake, a bug should be filed IMHO.
That being said, however, I must disagree with the recommendation to compile it yourself.

The way the Extras build systems works, it will be compiled against the same libraries that the user has installed on their system to satisfy dependencies - and by using a package, updates and bug fixes are readily available when they are pushed to the Extras repository.