still struggling with ndiswrapper

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Oct 29 12:40:32 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 09:44 -0400, James Pifer wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 01:47 -0700, L. Paul Andralouis wrote:
> > Hi James:
> >
> >      When you use ndiswrapper to list the drivers,
> > does it say that the card is present?  I forget the
> > exact syntax of what it says, but it lists the drivers
> > and if it can load the card, it says "hardware
> > present" or something like that.
> >

> > --Paul
> >

> Yes, when I did ndiswrapper -l I would get a response that the driver
> was installed and the hardware was present.
>
> Thanks,
> James

One other thing I needed to do (and I just realized I did not tell you
earlier) was put the following 2 lines in modprobe.conf.  I think the
options line is the final step that made it work for me. Before that it
did not actually create the interface so it could not be activated.

	alias wlan0 ndiswrapper
	options ndiswrapper ifname wlan0

Note that the interface name and the alias can be almost anything you
want, but the config file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts must be
named appropriately.  I use ifcfg-wlan0 since that is the interface name
I chose.