Can't bind to dhcp address: Permission denied

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Oct 29 14:21:10 UTC 2005

Tim:

>> If you're using the GUI, you could run the "security level" tool and
>> look through the SELinux options related to DHCP, and make adjustments
>> where you see fit.

Hanspeter Roth:

> Yes, indeed! I had to "Disable SELinux protection for dhcpd daemon"
> below "SELinux Service Protection".
> How did you know this?

Well, I looked at the options that were around when I was installing
mine.  I knew there was a fair chance that SELinux might put a
restriction on the DHCPD server, so I had a look at what was there for
me to play with.

Though, I don't recall disabling SELinux for it, just making sure that
what I wanted to do was allowed.

>> I don't recall having any problems getting my DHCPD server running.
>> You're not trying to run the client and the server on the same PC, are
>> you?

> Yes I am. On eth0 there is the client running. And on the qemu
> interfaces tun0, tun1 there is the server running.

I can imagine there being problems with this.  e.g. A machine updating
its own IP over DHCP.

Generally speaking, I'd say that a DHCP server ought to be at a fixed
address.  And that all interfaces on a server ought to have fixed
addresses, particularly when other machines on the network need to
configure firewalls to allow interaction with a server, or need to
obtain networking information.

I read messages from the public lists.