Linux killer!

Craig Thomas cjtinhp at optonline.net
Sat Oct 29 17:06:28 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 18:34 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 10/29/05, Bill Perkins <perk at iag.net> wrote:
> > Tim wrote:
> > > On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 13:46 +0100, malcolm wrote:
> > Heh heh... sounds about right; more reason to install Linux: you can
> > keep _much_ better control over the student's systems, and you don't
> > have to worry so much about spyware/adware/viruses/worms. To say nothing
> > of the maintenance involved; with Fedora, you can keep the systems at
> > the level _you_ want in terms of updates and packages.

No kidding.  Why is not being able to play yahoo vids a bad
thing? ..sounds like a good thing as far as the school administration is
concerned to me.

> Problem is, thats going to make Linux-haters out of the students.

I doubt it...school haters maybe :)

Even still, you might show them it's possible first. Just disallowed by
the rules. They might even learn how much control *nix admins have.
Install mplayer or whatever needs to be installed on a few
machines...just not student machines.

Why should the machines students use allow behavior the administration
is trying to discourage?  I certainly don't want my kid doing whatever
she wants at school...she needs to learn to follow the rules. Especially
when it's hard, or it's a rule she thinks is stupid or disagrees with.
That's just life and a part of growing up...few of us can always do what
we want...and school and work are two prime examples.

> The students are going to find something else to waste their time on.
> Might as well let them waste it on something that will make them love
> Linux.

Yeah, set up a BZFLAG server and let the games begin!

> Even better, if you can break the video downloads somehow in
> windows and let them use that for a week before you switch them over
> to linux. Then they will really love linux.

(nice touch, Dotan.)

--
Craig