SmartLink Modem Family Woes (Snap Snap)

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sat Oct 29 18:40:38 UTC 2005

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, Lane Hill wrote:

> I bought a Creative ModemBlaster USB DE5671 recently, due to me getting
> troubles with getting a working modem for Fedora 4 (so far I've tried 5
> different ones, and this is the first external I tried). Of course, Fedora
> doesn't recognize it offhand, so I did some research. It uses a chipset
> that's in the same Family as the SmartLink SmartUSB56 (or something or
> another). The greater news is that SmartLink has a driver available!
>
> So, first I tried to make an rpm out of the tar.gz file. According to the
> terminal, rpm -ta is not a real command, although that's what the readme
> says to type.

The readme is rather dated on this point.  The command is "rpmbuild -ta
..." (and has been for a while now).

Getting this right won't help with your compilation problem, though.

You don't say what version of slmodem you are working with.

>[...]
>
> So, I'm completely lost, confused and a bit pissed off due to the fact that
> all I want to do is use this computer (I'm using my mom's currently) for
> school, yet I have to live with crappy 56k, and that no modem I've tried
> worked successfully with Fedora.
>
> All I'm asking is this: Can someone pinpoint to me a good RPM to use for
> this modem, or can someone recommend a good modem (internal or external)
> that can work flawlessly or near flawlessly with Fedora?

There is an slmodem-alsa-2.9.9d-0.lvn.1.4 RPM at rpm.livna.org.  I haven't
tried to really make it work, however.

Almost any external modem or hardware modem will work.  There are plenty
of recommendations in the list archives.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu