Can't bind to dhcp address: Permission denied

Hanspeter Roth hampi at rootshell.be
Sat Oct 29 21:03:38 UTC 2005

  On Oct 29 at 23:51, Tim spoke:

> >> I don't recall having any problems getting my DHCPD server running.
> >> You're not trying to run the client and the server on the same PC, are
> >> you?
>
> > Yes I am. On eth0 there is the client running. And on the qemu
> > interfaces tun0, tun1 there is the server running.
>
> I can imagine there being problems with this.  e.g. A machine updating
> its own IP over DHCP.
>
> Generally speaking, I'd say that a DHCP server ought to be at a fixed
> address.  And that all interfaces on a server ought to have fixed
> addresses, particularly when other machines on the network need to
> configure firewalls to allow interaction with a server, or need to
> obtain networking information.

The DHCP server is listening only on tun0 and tun1 which have their
own fixed address. The DHCP client is running only on the eth0
interface and thus doesn't notice what is going on on tun0 and tun1.
So the client on eth0 can't get a lease which is distributed on tun0
and tun1. The 'internal' machines that run under qemu that are
connected via the tun0 and tun1 interfaces are masqueraded on the
eth0 interface.

-Hanspeter