LVM question. Missing about 11GB of Space..

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sat Oct 29 22:22:15 UTC 2005

On 29 Oct 2005 at 19:44, Andy Green wrote:

Date sent:	Sat, 29 Oct 2005 19:44:58 +0100
From:	Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com>
To:	"Michael D. Setzer II" <mikes at kuentos.guam.net>
Copies to:	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Subject:	Re: LVM question. Missing about 11GB of Space..

> Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
>
> > I wasn't looking at going ot 0, but what would be a more reasonable
> > number than 12GB. Even the 12GB would be fine, if there was a
>
> The -m parameter is the percentage of the drive space to reserver, so
>
> tune2fs -m 1 /dev/hda2
>
> will be 1/5th of your current size.
>
> > way to make all or most of it nulls, so it would compress greatly The
> > rest of the drives 206GB of space was all nulls, and compress very
> > well.
>
> The problem is not that this 5% or whatever is full of nonzero data, all
> of the blocks on your filesystem that once belonged to deleted files are
> not zeroed upon file deletion and contain whatever they had in them when
> they made up your files.
>
> There is a trick that might help though: say you see you have something
> more than 1GByte free on df -h
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/temp bs=1024 count=1000000
> rm /root/temp
>
> will zero most all of your free blocks, then free them again (as tested
> on ext3).

I use a similar process that would write to a file called /0bits until it
used up all the space, and then remove the file, but it wouldn't touch
this reserved space. This is done as root, but perhaps  doing the file
in the /root directory would make a difference. Will give it a try...

> -Andy

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
Number of Seti Units Returned:  18,400
Processing time:  32 years,  74 days, 14 hours, 42 minutes
(Total Hours: 282,111)