Linux killer!

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sun Oct 30 00:03:48 UTC 2005

On Sat October 29 2005 9:41 am, Andy Pieters wrote:
> Hi
>
> I don't know about 'live" but I can watch to streaming video news,
> streaming audio radio, wmv files, asx, asf and the likes, mpeg, mp3,
> basically everything I throw at it it can handle (xine), with the exception
> being windows encrypted media files. (DRM)

Hello Andy: You got me to revisit this. I'd never personally tested my
installation on a live stream. I'd only heard that it wouldn't work (I read
it on an internet list, it must have been true ;-) The news feeds I know of,
like CNN, are not live feeds, but little prepared spots - you can tell
because they always play from the beginning to the end. But I went to
vivalavoce.com which is a live streaming radio station and selected broadband
WM, and it played - I'll have to find some live streaming WM video streams
now, but, this is pretty hopeful.
My recipe was pretty simple. I installed mplayer, mplayerplug-in, mplayer-gui,
some skins, and the all-codecs package from the mplayer site. As I recall, I
used Synaptic and the atrpms repo to install the software, and I downloaded
the codecs directly from mplayer's site and unpacked them in /usr/lib/win32 -
that's all there was to it. I've done this on multiple FC4 boxes and on half
a dozen MEPIS Linux boxes now. MEPIS is a Debian derivative, and the Debian
repos have those packages, as well.
So, to the original poster, it looks like you get pretty full WM play
functionality with a very simple install - once you've done it once, it
shouldn't take you more than a few minutes per machine.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA