SmartLink Modem Family Woes (Snap Snap)

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sun Oct 30 00:25:13 UTC 2005

On Sat October 29 2005 2:40 pm, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> Almost any external modem or hardware modem will work.  There are plenty
> of recommendations in the list archives.
Aren't external USB modems just external winmodems in another cloak? I've
settled on two varieties that seem to work every time, the USR 5610B internal
PCI, or external serial modems - I haven't found an external serial that
doesn't work, so far. I've had success with Trendnet, Zoom, and one other
whose name escapes me. The USR 5610B internal modem is recognized natively by
FC4 - no need to even install the USR linux driver any more, which had a
couple of weird issues, though they worked.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA