Smartd message: What does it mean?

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Sun Oct 30 01:28:59 UTC 2005

Hahahahaha.  Sorry folks.  I DO appreaciate your comments
but as I said before, that there is *something else* going
on, after all...  I had no reported problems before.  One
of the respondents clued me in, that this problem was occuring
AT BOOT TIME.  Only ONCE.

I tried the comprehensive test (smartctl -t long /dev/hdb) and
there was no reported problems.  So when I ran the smartctl -a
/dev/hdb, I saw that there was a message that the drive may need
a firmware update with LINKS PROVIDED!!!!!

THAT IS SO DARN COOL!!!!

So, I went to the site, downloaded the firmware, updated it,
and the drive had the updated firmware. I rebooted and smartctl
reported no problems at boot!  I ran the long test again, no problems.

I saved a few bucks for now.... :-D

Dan