mail confusion

Ted Kaczmarek tedkaz at optonline.net
Sun Oct 30 09:44:03 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 03:31 -0600, Jay Moore wrote:
> I'm using smartd to monitor my HD, and want it to send an email message
> to another address if an error occirs. I've specified the non-local
> recipient in smartd.conf correctly. Problem is that when mail sends the
> message, it sends it as being from "root at localhost.localdomain" - which
> of course is rejected as invalid at the receiving host.
>
> How do I get mail to use my *real* address?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Jay Moore <jaymo at mail.bokler.com>

edit
/etc/aliases

on the bottom of the file their is typically an example for roots mail
going to marc. Uncomment that line, substitute your local account name
or ISP account name for that.

run
newaliases

run logwatch

If you have any issues after this check your log files, but this should
do the trick in most cases.

Ted