default users configuration

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Oct 30 08:50:39 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 09:19 +0200, Eric Tanguy wrote:
> I have 2 main user group : teachers and students. I would like that each
> student have a specific Applications menu in gnome and each teacher have
> another one. I would like also this will be true for actual users but
> also when i will create a new account.
> Do you know if it is possible and how ?

When adding new users, a skeleton (/etc/skel/) directory is used to
populate the new user's directory with some standard directories and
files.  The adduser command allows you to specify a different one.  You
could make up student and teacher skeleton directories, and use the
adduser command, appropriately, to add new users.

Though, which gets the reduced menus?  The teachers who don't understand
the technology, or the students that exploit it too much?  ;-)

I read messages from the public lists.