USB modem install on FC4

Jean François Ortolo ortolojf at free.fr
Sun Oct 30 11:17:43 UTC 2005

Hi all

  I have got installed FC4 32bits on my AMD64 machine as a classic
client workstation.

  The Ethernet connection works fine, as much as all network
configuration tools.

  I've some difficulties to setup an USB analog modem, Hayes compatible.

  Whenever the modem is being switched to USB, the right modules are
being charged ( generic-ppp, etc... ), however, when I try to setup the
new modem device as root with the menu "Desktop" -> "System Settings" ->
"Network", the only listed serial interfaces are classic serial
interfaces, no USB interface, unless I'm wrong.

  All the listed interface are: modem ( There is no /dev/modem device in
the /dev directory ), ttyS0, 1, etc, ttyl0, 1, etc,
input/tty-something_I_don't_recall, ttyM0, 1, etc, and ttyACM0, 1, etc.

  I presume all these interfaces are purely serial, not USB, so I can't
setup my modem, such that it could be accessible by the machine.

  I tried "modem" ( which gives me error 2 after an "ifup <device>",
then "ttyS0", which gives me error 6 ( unsuccessful locking attempt ).

  I tried with the debug options in the /etc/ppp/options file.

  The /var/log/messsages file shows the modem doesn't respond at all to
the ATZ command, which proves it's not accessible from the machine,
through the ttyS0 interface.

  The modem interface was the first option I setup, which gave me error
2 at fist attempt to make an "ifup <device>".

  The error 2 is not very clear. The 'man pppd' says any error, for
example "contradiction beetween the configuration characteristics".

  The fact is, the /dev/modem doesn't exist at all, which is something I
don't understand.

  Many thanks four your help.

  Best regards.

  Jean-Francois Ortolo