Multiple language support in OpenOffice 2 - Cannot change default document language

Sean Carlos sean.carlos at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 10:20:54 UTC 2005

Upgrading openoffice.org from

openoffice.org-*-1.9.125-1.1.0.fc4.i386.rpm

openoffice.org-*-2.0.0-3.2.1.i386.rpm,

I find it is no longer possible to change the default document language
- it is hard wired to the interface language.

Tools -> Options...

Language Settings -> Languages

In the lower part of the pane, there is "Default languages"
The label "Western" and associated drop-down is now grayed out.  The
value is taken from the Interface Language in the same pane.  So if I
change the user interface to "Italiano" and restart OO, I then see the
document default language as "Italiano" - but I cannot change it back to
English, even just for the current document, as is the expected
behavior.  I have verified this with just the Italian and German
language packs installed.

Has anyone else seen this?  If not, I'll file a bug.