mail confusion

Michael Fleming mfleming at enlartenment.com
Sun Oct 30 10:52:53 UTC 2005

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 04:03:29 -0600. Jay Moore waffled thusly:

> On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 04:44 -0500, Ted Kaczmarek wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 03:31 -0600, Jay Moore wrote:

<snip>

> > edit
> > /etc/aliases
> >
> > on the bottom of the file their is typically an example for roots mail
> > going to marc. Uncomment that line, substitute your local account name
> > or ISP account name for that.
> >
> > run
> > newaliases
> >
> > run logwatch
> >
> > If you have any issues after this check your log files, but this should
> > do the trick in most cases.
>
> I don't think that's the problem... changing that line would cause all
> of root's mail to go to another destination - that's not the problem.
> I'm trying to send a message from this host (aria.bokler.com) to my
> "real" email account on a different host.
>
> The problem is that the from: address "mail" is using is bogus:
> "root at localhost.localdomain"  Problem is that I don't know *where* mail
> is getting this address. Following is the error message:

> <jaymo at mail.bokler.com>
>     (reason: 553 5.1.8 <root at localhost.localdomain>... Domain of sender
> address
> root at localhost.localdomain does not exist)
> <jaymo at mail.bokler.com>
>     (reason: 501 <root at localhost.localdomain>... Sender domain must
> exist)

The remote server is well behaved. Good.

Change the references in /etc/smartd.conf accordingly:

eg.

/dev/hda -H -m root at localhost.localdomain
/dev/hdc -H -m root at localhost.localdomain

becomes

/dev/hda -H -m me at domain.mumble.invalid # My email address goes here.
/dev/hdc -H -m me at domain.mumble.invalid # and here

See smartd(8)

Cheers,
Michael.

--
Michael Fleming <mfleming at enlartenment.com>
"Bother" said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh!"