mail confusion

Jay Moore jaymo at mail.bokler.com
Sun Oct 30 11:25:36 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 20:52 +1000, Michael Fleming wrote:

> > The problem is that the from: address "mail" is using is bogus:
> > "root at localhost.localdomain"  Problem is that I don't know *where* mail
> > is getting this address. Following is the error message:
> >

> >    ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> > <jaymo at mail.bokler.com>
> >     (reason: 553 5.1.8 <root at localhost.localdomain>... Domain of sender
> > address
> > root at localhost.localdomain does not exist)
> > <jaymo at mail.bokler.com>
> >     (reason: 501 <root at localhost.localdomain>... Sender domain must
> > exist)
> >

> The remote server is well behaved. Good.
>
> Change the references in /etc/smartd.conf accordingly:
>
> eg.
>
> /dev/hda -H -m root at localhost.localdomain
> /dev/hdc -H -m root at localhost.localdomain
>
> becomes
>
> /dev/hda -H -m me at domain.mumble.invalid # My email address goes here.
> /dev/hdc -H -m me at domain.mumble.invalid # and here
>
> See smartd(8)

No - sorry - that's not it either... I don't have a "root at localhost..."
email address in the list. Here's the line from smartd.conf:

/dev/hda -H -m jaymo at mail.bokler.com,root at aria.bokler.com

The email address that bounces (as in the error message above) is the
first one (a valid address). aria is on the "private" network, and has
no dns record anywhere.

It seems the problem is either a) cannot specify a "From:" address for
'mail', or b) I need something else in /etc/hosts (or resolv.conf)
files.

Oddly, my email client on aria is able to send mail just fine. And the
Windows boxes on the network that use 'blat' can send mail just fine.

Puzzledly,
Jay