FC4 does not work, "out of the box" for me; GUI/X11 fails

David Abbott subvertex at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 12:39:50 UTC 2005

Thanks for the responses.

We have Core 3 installed on all the workstations at my office which is about
70 or so,
and they all have nvidia effects 1300's and they don't seem to have too many
problems.
The reason I am working at getting Core 4 rolling on my laptop is that I
love using it and want to improve my knowledge on how to get things working
on it.
i.e there is no USB wacom support (no absolute mode or pressure sensitivity)
which hurts me, so i really want to be able to do my own experimentation
withthings, as I obviously (and thankfully so) don't have administrative
priveleges at work.

It's not a necessity but would be way cool if i can get over these hurdles.
I've had the main Linux tech guy give my machine a quick workout with the
various Nvidia installers (pretty much trying all the stuff i'd already
tried) and he had no joy.
I can get the computer to boot o.k but only using the default driver.

So am I right in thinking that compiling a kernel for my machine is the way
to go?
I was under the impression that this is the gauranteed way to get it to
work.

I am going to try a fresh install to make sure I didn't screw anything up.

I notice that the vanilla kernel is up a version from the
2.6.11-1.1369-fc4that I am using..
there seems to be a few nvidia fixes in there..should I be aiming to get
that in my build.
I'll have to work out exactly what I am doing before I throw any serious
questions out there.
Is there others out there who have installed fc4 on their Dell Inspiron
9300's with the Nvidia Go6800??
a pointer in the right direction would be cool.
Sorry if i seem a real dumbass, I know I am in a bit over my head with this.
But I am not giving up until I get this thing rolling.
As it is a laptop i don't really have the option of swapping the graphics
card for something else.

Thanks