USB modem install on FC4

Jean François Ortolo ortolojf at free.fr
Sun Oct 30 14:56:32 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 23:01 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 12:17 +0100, Jean François Ortolo wrote:
>
> >   I presume all these interfaces are purely serial, not USB, so I can't
> > setup my modem, such that it could be accessible by the machine.
>
> I think it'd have to be some USB device (with usb in the name,
> somewhere).  Though I don't think you're going to get one by default, I
> think you'd have to manually arrange for there to be one.

  Yes Sir

  The udev rules file shows me some serial/comm interfaces, some of them
with the word "USB" in it, but I don't know which one to choose.

  Furthermore, I tried ttyUSB0 by running 'udevinfo ttyUSB'. It
succeeded but this interface was not being added to the network tool
interfaces list. By 'succeeded' I mean the ttyUSB[0-9]+ were added to
the /dev directory.

  It might be, cause the ttyUSB interfaces, aren't added to the udev
database. I don't know the way to add these to the udev database.

  Please, would you say me the right way to do it ?

  Thank you very much for your help.

  Jean-Francois Ortolo