Linux killer!

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Oct 30 15:01:46 UTC 2005

On Sunday 30 October 2005 09:26, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
>On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 08:03:48PM -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
>> On Sat October 29 2005 9:41 am, Andy Pieters wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I don't know about 'live" but I can watch to streaming video news,
>> > streaming audio radio, wmv files, asx, asf and the likes, mpeg, mp3,
>> > basically everything I throw at it it can handle (xine), with the
>> > exception being windows encrypted media files. (DRM)
>>
>> Hello Andy: You got me to revisit this. I'd never personally tested my
>> installation on a live stream. I'd only heard that it wouldn't work (I
>> read it on an internet list, it must have been true ;-) The news feeds
>> I know of, like CNN, are not live feeds, but little prepared spots -
>> you can tell because they always play from the beginning to the end.
>> But I went to vivalavoce.com which is a live streaming radio station
>> and selected broadband WM, and it played - I'll have to find some live
>> streaming WM video streams now, but, this is pretty hopeful.
>> My recipe was pretty simple. I installed mplayer, mplayerplug-in,
>> mplayer-gui, some skins, and the all-codecs package from the mplayer
>> site. As I recall, I used Synaptic and the atrpms repo to install the
>> software, and I downloaded the codecs directly from mplayer's site and
>> unpacked them in /usr/lib/win32 -
>
>What is interesting is that I can't see any of the CNN videos unless I
>put the codecs in /usr/local/lib/win32

And here, firefox seems to be confused as to where these extra codecs &
libraries belong.  I have had to first, install them in a new
/usr/lib/win32 directory in order to be able to play the .wvm files my
children send me from time to time.  And today, in checking this
message to see if I could play the cnn stuff, it failed, reporting that
it couldn't find /usr/local/lib/win32.  So I've now made that
directory, cd'd to it, and done an

lndir /usr/lib/win32 .

and cnn's weather is now playing.  With an occasional very minor
stutter.

But, FF goes away when I quit that window, and brings up its
crash report form, doing this 100% of the time in 5 attempts now.
Linux of course, kernel 2.6.14 final, latest FireFox 1.07.

I note that I've saved one .wmv file here, something my kids sent me and
that I can play it, and quit it without incident.  Only the cnn or
possibly net based inputs crash it.

Anybody have a good site to double check this with?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)