Linux killer!

oldman talbotscott at cox.net
Sun Oct 30 16:29:36 UTC 2005

Jeff Vian wrote:

>On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 08:26 -0600, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

>>>Hello Andy: You got me to revisit this. I'd never personally tested my
>>>installation on a live stream. I'd only heard that it wouldn't work (I read
>>>it on an internet list, it must have been true ;-) The news feeds I know of,
>>>like CNN, are not live feeds, but little prepared spots - you can tell
>>>because they always play from the beginning to the end. But I went to
>>>vivalavoce.com which is a live streaming radio station and selected broadband
>>>WM, and it played - I'll have to find some live streaming WM video streams
>>>now, but, this is pretty hopeful.
>>>My recipe was pretty simple. I installed mplayer, mplayerplug-in, mplayer-gui,
>>>some skins, and the all-codecs package from the mplayer site. As I recall, I
>>>used Synaptic and the atrpms repo to install the software, and I downloaded
>>>the codecs directly from mplayer's site and unpacked them in /usr/lib/win32 -
>>>

>>What is interesting is that I can't see any of the CNN videos unless I
>>put the codecs in /usr/local/lib/win32
>>

>Do you have mplayer installed in /usr/local or /usr?
>I suspect that you compiled mplayer and installed it in /usr/local.  If
>so it will look for the libraries there as well.

According to the Mplayer readme at /usr/share/doc/mplayer-1.0/README

_______________________________

STEP2: Installing Binary Codecs
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MPlayer and libavcodec have builtin support for the most common audio
and video
formats, but some formats require external codecs. Examples include
Real, Indeo
and QuickTime audio formats. Support for Windows Media formats except WMV9
exists but still has some bugs, your mileage may vary. This step is not
mandatory, but recommended for getting MPlayer to play a broader range of
formats. Please note that most codecs only work on Intel x86 compatible PCs.

Unpack the codecs archives and put the contents in a directory where MPlayer
will find them. The default directory is /usr/local/lib/codecs/ (it used
to be
/usr/local/lib/win32 in the past, this also works) but you can change
that to
something else by using the '--with-codecsdir=DIR' option when you run
'./configure'.

    Maybe the best fix would be to contact Mplayer.hu and ask that the
tarballs and
rpms be made to put the codecs in the right place?

Scott