what is the Maximum Swap partition size and useful size ???

ha haha hahaha_30k at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 30 17:04:16 UTC 2005

Greeting,

 I'm using FC4 with 2.6 kernel on i386 and x86_64
arches now, Just wonder whether the maximum swap size
changed. The makeswap manual seems too old (although
not true) if look just from it timestamp.

SEE ALSO
       fdisk(8), swapon(8)

Linux 2.2.4                      25 March 1999
              MKSWAP(8)

I've tried to create 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB swap
partitions, all mounts well, but I don't know whether
all of them are theoretically be full in use -- not
only the first 2GB are usable.

Please crarify. Many Many Thanks.

[root at hello15 ~]# swapon -s
Filename                                Type
 Size    Used    Priority
/dev/hda2                               partition
 4194280 612     -1
/dev/hdd1                               partition
 4000712 0       -2
/dev/hdd2                               partition
 8000488 0       -3
/dev/hdd3                               partition
 16000480        0       -4
/dev/hdd4                               partition
 32000464        0       -5
[root at hello15 ~]#