Sound lost on FC#

taharka res00vl8 at alltel.net
Sun Oct 30 17:09:20 UTC 2005

Tim wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 12:36 -0400, taharka wrote:
>

>>Every time I upgrade to the latest kernel, /etc/modprobe.conf gets
>>hammered & I have to replace it with a backup copy :-(
>>

>Doesn't happen to me.  Maybe you should provide some more details and
>someone can resolve that issue for you.

Well, thanks for the offer but I doubt it :-( The first reported
incident, is the posting below;

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-May/msg04057.html

kernel-2.6.11-1.27_FC3 destroyed my sound configuration.

    * From: "Erik P. Olsen" <erik epo dk>
    * To: Fedora Mailing List <fedora-list redhat com>
    * Subject: kernel-2.6.11-1.27_FC3 destroyed my sound configuration.
    * Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 23:52:07 +0200

I upgraded my kernel to the subject version on May 24. In that very
moment all sound stopped on my system (only the hiss from the fans are
still there). I can see that modprobe.conf was also changed at that
time. I have restored the previous modprobe.conf but that only allowed
alsamixer to work, still no sound so apparently more damage was done.

I assume I have to reinstall/reconfigure alsa, but why did it happen and
how can I prevent this from happening next time I upgrade the kernel?

--
Regards,
Erik P. Olsen

Note, that there was no response to this guy's post :-( Now, the very
same thing happened to me. I was fortunate enough to have a backup of
/etc/modprobe.conf on a SCO Open Server box attached to my LAN.
Overwriting the hammered modprobe.conf with the backup copy worked for
me. It's a good thing I had that backup because, I had pushed out that
kernel update to ten clients with identical systems & their
modprobe.conf file was hammered likewise :-(

taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.