default users configuration

Eric Tanguy eric.tanguy at univ-nantes.fr
Sun Oct 30 19:04:40 UTC 2005

Le dimanche 30 octobre 2005 à 19:20 +1030, Tim a écrit :
> On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 09:19 +0200, Eric Tanguy wrote:
> > I have 2 main user group : teachers and students. I would like that each
> > student have a specific Applications menu in gnome and each teacher have
> > another one. I would like also this will be true for actual users but
> > also when i will create a new account.
> > Do you know if it is possible and how ?
>
> When adding new users, a skeleton (/etc/skel/) directory is used to
> populate the new user's directory with some standard directories and
> files.  The adduser command allows you to specify a different one.  You
> could make up student and teacher skeleton directories, and use the
> adduser command, appropriately, to add new users.
>
> Though, which gets the reduced menus?  The teachers who don't understand
> the technology, or the students that exploit it too much?  ;-)
>
> --

Thanks for the answer, i think you speak about the adduser command line
because with system-config-users it's not possible but it's easier to
create a lot of users with the command line!
About the menu, i just want to manage it "better" with more specific
sections : maths, physics, ... and put the system for teachers and not
for students...
Eric