Linux killer!

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sun Oct 30 23:50:58 UTC 2005

On Sun October 30 2005 11:29 am, oldman wrote:
> According to the Mplayer readme at /usr/share/doc/mplayer-1.0/README
>
> _______________________________
>
> STEP2: Installing Binary Codecs
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> MPlayer and libavcodec have builtin support for the most common audio
> and video
> formats, but some formats require external codecs. Examples include
> Real, Indeo
> and QuickTime audio formats. Support for Windows Media formats except WMV9
> exists but still has some bugs, your mileage may vary. This step is not
> mandatory, but recommended for getting MPlayer to play a broader range of
> formats. Please note that most codecs only work on Intel x86 compatible
> PCs.
>
> Unpack the codecs archives and put the contents in a directory where
> MPlayer will find them. The default directory is /usr/local/lib/codecs/ (it
> used to be /usr/local/lib/win32 in the past, this also works)

I've read that readme a half dozen times. In my case, I never got mplayer to
work using those instrux. Somewhere along the way, packages got produced that
changed the directory structure, and the docs didn't get changed to reflect
that. As I stated previously, I've used the mplayer fc4 rpms on many
installations, and the Debian equivalents on many others, and have always
placed the codecs in /usr/lib/win32 - at least for the packages I've been
using, both CNN video and other AV works on all those installs. I've just
rechecked the readme on my own installation - it has precisely the language
you quote - but again, on my system, the named folder doesn't exist! My
codecs are in /usr/lib/win32.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA