nvidia or ati ?

Mogens Kjaer mk at crc.dk
Mon Oct 31 07:52:53 UTC 2005

micheal wrote:
> I may be daft, but for my ATI card, whenever I update my kernel from
> updates released it defautls to use the radeon driver. I just update the
> kernel-module from livna manually.
>
> I don't see why this would not work for nVidia.

It does, it's just not what I want.

I want a delayed installation of the kernel until
the graphics module is available.

My users can't use their machine for anything unless
the 3D driver is loaded. They can't manually install
the graphics driver.

Anyway, I've added a /etc/init.d script that checks if
the nvidia kernel module exists.

If it doesn't, it reinstalls the nvidia driver.

I've put the driver on an NFS share, with a symlink
at /server1/nvidia/latest.x86. The script is shown below.

Mogens

#!/bin/sh
#
# nvidia:       Install nvidia driver if module doesn't exist.
#
# chkconfig: 5 90 10
#
#

# Source function library.

. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

start() {
   if [ -f /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko ]; then
     echo 'Nvidia module already exists.'
   else
     echo 'Nvidia module does not exist; reinstalling nvidia driver.
This will take a few minutes.'
     if [ -f /server1/nvidia/latest.x86 ]; then
       cp /server1/nvidia/latest.x86 /tmp
       sh /tmp/latest.x86 -s --update --force-update
       echo 'A warning from the installer about something being altered
can be ignored.'
     else
       echo '/server1/nvidia/latest.x86 does not exist'
     fi
   fi

}

stop() {
   true
}

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
   start)
         start
         ;;
   stop)
         stop
         ;;
   restart|reload)
         stop
         start
         ;;
   condrestart)
         ;;
   *)
         echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|reload|condrestart}"
         exit 1
esac

exit 0

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk at crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk