FC4 does not work, "out of the box" for me; GUI/X11 fails

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Oct 31 13:24:39 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 11:10 -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> I guess I do not "blame" them for wanting to keep their trade secrets,
> but when the newest release of their drivers crashes your system, the
> above is the direct cause, even if you can argue that the "fault"
> isn't theirs.

I can understand it, but to any rival worth their salt, they'll be able
to reverse engineer the software, and hardware, if they wanted to.  So
holding back the information doesn't really achieve that aim.

I've got the complete circuit diagrams for all sorts of equipment,
though that's only of some help if I really wanted to duplicate it.  But
it does mean that I can service it.  There isn't really a good argument
for withholding technical specifications needed for writing drivers.

I read messages from the public lists.