what are the iproute2 rules and routes startup scripts

Robin Mordasiewicz robin at bullseye.tv
Mon Oct 31 15:06:44 UTC 2005

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Bill Rugolsky Jr. wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 08:28:44AM -0500, Robin Mordasiewicz wrote:
>> Ok, but what about the rules,
>> ie. When issueing the following commands I understand how I can use the
>> route-device file, but which file do edit to deal with the "ip rule add"
>> line ?
>>
>> /sbin/ip rule delete from ${IPADDR} lookup ${TABLE}
>> /sbin/ip rule add from ${IPADDR} table ${TABLE} priority ${PRIORITY}
>
> If you are willing to do some packaging work, you might want to look
> at /etc/net, which has been developed for the ALTLinux distribution:
>
>   http://etcnet.org/
>
>   /etc/net represents a new approach to Linux network configuration
>   tasks. Inspired by the limitations of traditional configuration
>   subsystems,
<snip>

That looks interesting, but I don't have any time for development on this.
I need something that "Just Works".

What I have done is written a script in /sbin/ifup-local, which will add
the rules I need. I don't like it, but it will get me by. I think that in
the long run the /etc/net approach will be a better strategy, but for now
I need somehting which is also supported by RedHat-AS