FC4 does not work, "out of the box" for me; GUI/X11 fails

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Oct 31 15:26:00 UTC 2005

Derek Martin wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 09:56:16PM -0700, David Abbott wrote:
>
>>I have to say.  Being new to Linux and trying to administer my own
>>system I have had loads of trouble.
>

> That's pretty normal, when you're new to something, generally.
>

>>I am trying to work out how to compile my own kernel because the
>>basic setup to install the Nvidia drivers doesn't work on my Dell
>>Inspiron 9300.  The Go6800 is a pretty standard card. i wouldn't
>>have imagined that it should be difficult.
>

> This you can blame on nvidia, for refusing to release the specs of
> their hardware so that a proper driver could be integrated into the
> Kernel.  Instead, we're dependent upon them to try to support a
> binary-only kernel module on dozens of different versions of the Linux
> kernel (both official releases, and also vendor-modified kernels).
>
> They are clearly not up to the task.  Not that we should expect they
> would be; it's a pretty big task...  But it becomes a small task if
> nvidia either releases source code for their drivers, or releases
> complete specs to their hardware, so that a driver can be written and
> maintained as part of the Linux kernel proper.
>
> Another issue is that Fedora Core is intended to be a cutting edge
> development platform, and as such there will always be bugs.  In some
> ways I think it is really not a very good choice for someone venturing
> into the world of Linux for the first time... particularly for people
> who are not already somewhat adept with computers.  Except that you
> will learn a lot by figuring out how to fix all the bugs and make your
> system work the way you want it to.  So in that regard, it's a good
> thing. ;-)

I actually read an interview with one of the nVidia head honcho's and
this issue was raised.  Due to licensing restrictions placed on them
by chip manufacturers and other coders, they cannot release any code.
  They also develop their drivers in a neutral way so by theory, the
Linux and Windows drivers should be at the same level.  They also said
that any distro can include the binary driver.

I will say that it would be nice if the driver was part of the total
package but you also have to remember that RH has decided not to
include any code that is of questionable nature.  This I feel is more
of the issue.

Legal litigation is the biggest headaches for all of us that would
like a complete distro.  Until copyright and Patent laws are changed
to allow easier distribution, then we will have to learn to live with it.

At least nVidia drivers are complete and work much better than any ATI
drivers that I have tried.

--
Robin Laing