mail confusion

Derek Martin code at pizzashack.org
Mon Oct 31 17:12:43 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 11:38:50PM +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 12:06 -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> > Red Hat has configured some of its software to use
> > "localhost.localdomain" (which I always thought was brain-damaged), so
> > you'll need that in there as well.
>
> I can see why they've done something *like* that, as there's some
> networking things that will insist on there being at least one dot in
> the name, but I would have done it differently.

Hmm... can you provide an example?  I've never seen such a beast that
I'm aware of.  And IMO you shouldn't... localhost is localhost -- it
isn't in a domain; that's the whole point.  The entire 127.0.0.0/8
network refers to your local machine.  I'm inclined to think that
software which  requires a domain is broken.

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/