USB modem install on FC4

Jean François Ortolo ortolojf at free.fr
Mon Oct 31 18:43:10 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 00:14 +0200, Markku Kolkka wrote:
> Jean François Ortolo kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika
> sunnuntai, 30. lokakuuta 2005 13:17):
> >   All the listed interface are: modem ( There is no /dev/modem
> > device in the /dev directory ), ttyS0, 1, etc, ttyl0, 1, etc,
> > input/tty-something_I_don't_recall, ttyM0, 1, etc, and
> > ttyACM0, 1, etc.
> >
> >   I presume all these interfaces are purely serial, not USB,
>
> AFAIK, an ACM compatible USB modem should show as /dev/ttyACM0.
> Look at dmesg output or /var/log/messages after
> connecting/powering on your modem. You should see the device
> name assigned by the system.

  Thank you very much Sir

  The fact is, the devices.txt file is not in the /etc/udev/makedev.dev/
directory. It is in the /usr/share/doc/MAKEDEV.DEVS-something_like_that
directory, but I presume there shouldn't be any difference.

  Anyway, the /dev/ttyACM* devices are not being created after the
theoretically USB ACM compatible modem is switched into USB.

  However, the network tool interfaces list shows only input/ttyACM[0-9]
( inside the input directory ), but there is no ttyACM device inside
the /dev/input/ directory anymore

  The devices.txt file I previously mentioned, effectively shows
the /dev/ttyACM* devices, but I don't know how to create them.

  Whenever I do a: "MAKEDEV ttyACM", this message appears:

  "I don't know how to create this device."

  I presume the devices.txt is found, otherwise the message should have
indicated "File not found" or something like that.

  Maybe the /etc/udev/rules.dev/ rule file should be setup, such that
the proper rule could be used to create the interface.

  I tried to add a same line as "ttyUSB*" line, but with "ttyACM*" in
this file, but it failed.

  I don't know the way to complete the configuration files, to be able
to setup the /dev/ttyACM0 interface.

  Can you help me ?

  Thank you very much.

  Best regards.