mounting DVD/CD, what is supposed to be in fstab ?

Marcel Janssen korgull at home.nl
Mon Oct 31 18:11:18 UTC 2005

On Monday 31 October 2005 14:45, Tim wrote:
> Hmm, although I don't use MythTV, I have a FC3 box with a DVD-ROM drive.
> My fstab file has "auto" for the filesystem, and it manages to mount
> discs with the appropriate filetypes.  What if you try using
> "udf,iso9660" as the filetype entry?  I seem to recall that was how it
> used to be done a long time ago (DVD-ROM drive entries in the fstab
> file).

With "udf,iso9660" DVD's are recognized fine by mythTV, but normal CD's are
not mounted as they where in FC3.

> > Is this mouting of a DVD using the iso9660 fstype a bug ?
>
> I would have thought so.  I thought all DVDs had to be UDF.  Though are
> you sure the discs are formatted as UDF?

The DVD's I use are Video DVD's and some are data DVD's created by k3b (which
worked well before in FC3).
I expect the Video DVD to be played by mythTV, which it does when I put
"udf,iso9660" in fstab and I expect the data DVD to be mounted, which it
doesn't at the moment. This is very inconvenient because my mythTV box is
normally controlled by remote control and although it has a keyboard, it's
not really supposed to be used all the time. In short, this is a bit of a
showstopper for mythTV.

Regards,
Marcel