Linux killer!

Markus Huber humarfedoralists at yahoo.de
Mon Oct 31 18:36:20 UTC 2005

STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) schrieb:

> As you said, "It is what it is" and that seems to apply to the
> proprietary codecs also.  The mplayer developers have done a marvelous
> job integrating the windows codecs.  Searching out this information
> is non-trivial (without some luck) and difficult for the uninitiated.
> This mailing list has a pretty good cross section of current Fedora users
> and has some extremely intelligent and knowledgeable people on it.
>
> It may well be that since software installation does and should require
> some sort of administrative account (eg. root) and putting the root
> account in the hands of the uneducated can be a terrible thing, a
> different model is needed to further encroach upon Windows.

There is nothing wrong with that and a big advantage at a school.
Windows boxes usually rot away within minutes, because everybody can
install anything wherever they want, they do not need to be
root/administrator to do that. And that's wrong.

I even would advocate running Windows only on VMWare in institutions
like that.

Regards
Markus Huber