Linux killer!

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 19:52:56 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 12:26, Markus Huber wrote:

> > Or set up a few computers in "non-work" areas that are locked down with
> > XP on them.  I would not use Libraries for the non-work computers.
>
> Let the kids or their parents pay for VMWare-Workstation(s) and XP
> licenses for those boxes in non-work-areas.
>
> Then they learn that Windows is not shipped for free (seems quite a lot
> of people think that Windows comes for free on OEM boxes), and
> VMWare-Workstations are easy for the administration. Just delete the
> Windows-folder once there is malware on it :-)

Note that you no longer need to pay for run-time VMware now that player
is free.  You do need a copy of Workstation to create the virtual
machines in the first place but then they can be moved to other
hosts and run under player.  If the vm is created with the option,
you can 'revert' it back to the original copy no matter what was
done later.

By the way, the 'browser appliance' that you can download with
vmplayer is really a basic ubuntu installation that starts firefox
automatically.   Has anyone built a similar install of fedora?

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com