Linux killer!

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Mon Oct 31 22:14:14 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 03:25:55PM -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Monday 31 October 2005 9:25 am, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

> > > We must have acquired our packages from different sources. That folder
> > > doesn't even exist on my machine...
> >
> > You create it.
> If you have some special reason for responding to me privately, I don't mind,
> but in general, I'd prefer you just respond on list. I don't mind public
> corrections - I was thinking about one aspect of the issue, and not another
> when I wrote the above - but, presumably, if I did it, someone else could as
> well.
>
> I don't really understand why there's such a difference in people's
> experiences with mplayer - it's still a bit of a mystery to me. I figured out
> a method that worked on two different distros, about 4 months ago; it's been
> used on many installations since, and it has always succeeded. Yet, others
> seem to be having these problems.
> --

There is no significance to my responding to you privately. I just hit
reply and the e-mail went were it was supposed to go, I think the note
I received came form you personally, not from the list.

As to mplayer it comes from different repos and is different
evidently. Mine comes form the livna repo. Another machine in out
system has mplayer from the grey-sector.repo. The two distributions act
differently and have different version numbers for the components.
Other mplayer sources no doubt exist.

Another variable is that I think the codecs are illegal in the US so
they tens to come form sources outside the US.

When some people discover the truth, they just can't understand why
everybody isn't eager to hear it.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University