evolution

oldman talbotscott at cox.net
Thu Sep 1 16:12:19 UTC 2005

brouwers roland lx wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 09:19 -0700, oldman wrote:
>

>>brouwers roland lx wrote:
>>

>>>Hello everybody,
>>>
>>>Like everybody, I receive emails with docs in attachment.
>>>When I click on them, they do not open.
>>>How can I tell evolution to open with swrite?
>>>

>>    IIRC you have 2 options on attachments save to disk and open.  If
>>open does not work it is because there is no mime type default for the
>>file (it may be a foreign type or maybe it had no extension?)
>>    If the file has an extension - save the file to disk, and then open
>>it using the right-click, select properties, select the open-with tab.
>>Select the program you want to open the file with.
>>This type of file will now always be opened with the program you
>>specified whether in Nautilus or evolution
>>
>>If the attachment has no extension, Linux may not be able to figure out
>>a mime-type and may not be able to assign a default program.  May be you
>>could contact the person sending you these and ask that they use Open
>>Office? or some other standard types.
>>
>>Good Luck
>>
>>Scott
>>

>I experienced the following:
>If you remove the standard installation of OOo in the package p.e.
>K12LTSP there is no way to arrange this problem, even with your
>suggestion.
>If you reinstall the old version of OOo, i.e. 1.1.3 and leave the
>installation of 1.9, everything works well, but you will get in
>Nautilius as in evolution a proposition for both. Of course you can
>impose your preferred one in nautilius.
>
>Problem stays:
>In the menu you will get both versions.
>
>HOW DO I REMOVE ONE OF THEM?
>In other words, how do you remove lines from the menu?
>
>Thanks for your help!

    Nearly all of your menu items is in /usr/share/applications and the
openoffice.org files are no exception. I have only the 1.9 version and
my files are openoffice.org-1.9-base.desktop and the rest just replace
base with writer, calc or whatever
You could delete the appropriate files, but probably you should try to
add the line NoDisplay=true in the files, which should remove them from
the menus.  Or you could remove (rm) the .desktop files of course.

Scott