synaptics driver not loaded

Johan Lozano johan.lozano at tiscali.be
Thu Sep 1 22:19:49 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 18:27 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 16 August 2005 14:36, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> [...]
> >

> > Thanks for the info..
> >
> > Here's what I find now.
> > If I look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log after a fresh re-boot I see the following in
> > relation to the synaptics driver:
> >
> > The driver gets loaded:
> >
> > (II) LoadModule: "synaptics"
> > (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/synaptics_drv.o
> > (II) Module synaptics: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> >        compiled for 4.3.99.902, module version = 1.0.0
> >        Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
> >        ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 0.4
> >
> > Then the  driver fails to find a valid device??
> >
> > (**) Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
> > (**) Mouse0: Device: "/dev/input/mice"
> > (**) Mouse0: Protocol: "IMPS/2"
> > (**) Option "CorePointer"
> > (**) Mouse0: Core Pointer
> > (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> > (**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
> > (**) Mouse0: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
> > (**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> > (**) Mouse0: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
> > (**) Mouse0: Buttons: 5
> > (II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.13.5
> > Synaptics no synaptics event device found (checked 5 nodes)
> > (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> > (**) Option "SHMConfig" "on"
> > Query no Synaptics: 6003C8
> > (EE) Synaptics no synaptics touchpad detected and no repeater device
> > (EE) Synaptics Unable to query/initialize Synaptics hardware.
> > (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Synaptics"
> > (II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"
> > (**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
> > (**) Keyboard0: Core Keyboard
> >

> > I've run the hardware browser and the system shows both the internal mouse
> > (the touchpad) and the external usb mouse as /dev/input/mice
> >
> > Any ideas???
>
> Not really.  For me, it's always Just Worked(tm) on my Thinkpad with FC4.
> Check /var/log/dmesg and /var/log/messages and make sure the kernel finds
> the Synaptics device.  If it doesn't, then the xorg driver probably won't
> either.
>
> My synaptics driver is synaptics-0.14.0-2, which ships with FC4.  I think
> you ought to be able to rebuild it and use it with FC3.  It may detect
> more devices.
>
> Another post suggested reconfiguring your X with no external mouse.

i realise now that i am on the road and  have not always place for a
mouse that i have the same problem as you have. did you solved yours and
if so what did you do? i followed this thread and tried out all the
suggestions w/o success. i can tell that maybe 1 of the 10 times my
touchpad works but most of the time it's dead.

Johan Lozano
MicroBit, Duffel
E-mail : johan.lozano at tiscali.be

GPG key : 9A9FBFE1