Another CUPS rant.

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 04:44:02 UTC 2005

On 9/3/05, akonstam at trinity.edu <akonstam at trinity.edu> wrote:

> I guess I periodically need to do a CUPS rant. So here it is.
> system-config-printer does not really configure CUPS printers. If you
> don't beleve me try to change the configuration of a printer using
> system-config-printer by using the CUPS web interface (localhost:631)
> or by using the actual CUPS configuration commands which are
> principally lpadmin and lpoptions. It can't be done.
>
> system-config-printer fakes CUPS printing , I suspect, through the
> secret program running in the background called printconf-backend.
> And if you insist on using lpd protocol rather than the CUPS ipp
> protocol you are aided by the cups-lpd daemon.
>
> system-config-printer works most of the time but when you get into shared
> printers or print servers you quickly get yourself in trouble.
> Configuring clients for a print-server under real CUPS is trivial. You do
> nothing except put a line in the client.conf file on the client
> telling it which print server you want to use.
>
> People seem to be complaining more and more on printing failing on
> their FC4 machines and if the printers were configured using
> system-config-printer that may well happen.
>
> CUPS has been the printing system in fedora for a while and in FC4 it
> works as it should and therefore it should be used.
>
> The best way to start is to configure printers using the CUPS web
> interface and set the default printer using lpoptions although it
> probably can also be done in the web interface.
>
> All the documentation is available through the web interface so
> finding out how it works should not be a problem.
>
> That is my rant and I am sticking by it.
>

> [snip]
posters were directed to the CUPS article "Why am I no longer able to
control my printing system?". Article #301 was on the front page of their
web site until recently. The aritcle recommends turning off the
cups-config-daemon program, "which overwrites changes to the
/etc/cups/cpusd.conf file with whatever defaults they have assigned for your
security configuration."