OT: LifeDrive

ricklim at telus.net ricklim at telus.net
Sun Sep 4 07:09:55 UTC 2005

Quoting Ben Steeves <ben.steeves at gmail.com>:

> On 9/2/05, Robert Bell <robert at thebellfamily.com> wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone tried the new Palm LifeDrive with linux?
> >
> > I'm curious if
> > a) it syncs
>

> I haven't had any luck with that so far... pilot-link crashes. I haven't put
>
> much effort into fixing it yet.
>
> b)bluetooth works
>

> I can receive files sent from the Palm, and do network sharing (although
> that's not very useful since I use WiFi most of the time, but it was useful
> with my T3). I have a very brief HOWTO on getting network sharing working
> with Bluetooth on my site (see my sig).
>
>  c)file transfer works
>

> Depends what you mean by file transfer. If you mean using the LifeDrive like
>
> an external hard drive, then yes. Just connect it, put the LD into drive
> mode, and it should be automatically mounted as /media/LIFEDRIVE. If it
> doesn't mount automatically, check the output of /var/log/messages when you
> enter drive mode, that should give you some hints.
>
> d) installing palm apps works
>

> Again, that depends. Some apps need to be installed as part of HotSync in
> order to hook into the OS. Those won't work unless you can get pilot-link
> working. Otherwise, you can just copy the apps to the LD in drive mode and
> then move them into main memory on the LD, or run them from the LD.

Sorry to but in here but have any of you guys with lifedrives found them buggy?
My wife has one and if she loads some software it causes errors like the beam
function does not work any more and a secure reset needs to be done to restore it.
also some apps may cause the input area to be locked on and nothing we have
tried will hide the input area.