fedora-list Digest, Vol 19, Issue 77

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Sun Sep 11 15:21:18 UTC 2005

At 9:39 PM -0500 9/10/05, Dennis Myers wrote:
>On Saturday 10 September 2005 06:17 pm, fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
>> > I decided to have a look at FC4 and have run into a problem with the
>> > servers.   I have tried six times on six different mirrors for the CD set
>> > and twice for the DVD and on everyone the MD5sums are way incorrect.  So
>> > to see if it was my problem I d/l'd Mandriva 2006rc1 and it came down
>> > with no problem?  Are the SHA1sums on Fedora mirrors wrong or any
>> > suggestions? TIA
>> > --
>> > Dennis M. linux user #180842
>>
>> I am not sure that you did:
>> $ sha1sum <fc4.iso>
>>
>> Else you might want to use rsync to get the correct bits.
>Right I checked the sha1sums and they were correct, so the d/l should be
>good.
>I get "failed" on the disk tests now though.  All four of them. Using K3B so
>I will try a different burner and see if that gets it. Thanks to all for the
>correction on the MD5sum.

Have you read the release notes?  Section 6.2 addresses both issues you
have raised.  <http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/>  Go with the
erratta as the more up-to-date version.

Another way to test the integrity of the burn is to copy the CD back into
an ISO and checksum that.  This won't check whether the installer can read
the CD.  If the mediacheck passes after following the instructions in the
release notes section 6.2, you might choose to install the same way; if you
do, you will have to adjust DMA to regain performance.  It also used to be
possible to put padding on the burns so that the checksums will pass; I
don't know if that still works.