Linux-compatible webcam recommendations invited

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Tue Sep 13 21:12:23 UTC 2005

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Am Di, den 13.09.2005 schrieb Reshat Sabiq um 22:42:
>
> > Anyway, i'll send them out later tonight: what i said there is that i got
> > STX to work.
> >
> > My main questions now are:
> > 1. Does built-in mike work on Pro 4000? Are there any tricks i could try
> > to get it to work on STX?
>
> My Philips webcam's microphone is recognized.
What's the model? Were you actually able to use it in an app like Gnome
Meeting?

> > 2. I'm not sure about Alexander's response: does 1280x960 work on Pro
> > 4000? What about 640x480? GnomeMeeting has a tooltip about large
> > resolution, where it lists it as 352x288. And i have a feeling that that's
> > what i was getting w/ STX in GM. But maybe this is a GM limitation. I
> > guess i should try vlc or mplayer, and see what resolution they report.
> > But i have serious doubts that 1280x960 could be used on a connection like
> > 384Kbps. I have 5Mbps at home, but my other primary party isn't likely to
> > have high bandwidth. So i probably wouldn't benefit from a max resolution
> > above 640x480. In fact i doubt 640x480 would work well at 384Kbps too. It
> > would probably have to be scaled down to 400x300, or 300x230, etc.
> > 3. The last thing i want to try is how performance and quality compares on
> > Windows. But i got STX to work fairly quckly, so i haven't even tried it
> > on Windows yet.
>
> http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/PWC/FrequentlyAskedQuestionsPWC
>
> "The box says I can take images at 800x600 and even 1280x960, but I
> can't seem to set this resolution"
>
> Did you read that part? The matrix show you which resolutions at which
> frame rates are possible. For video conferencing like gnome-meeting you
> normally won't use more than SIF or CIF.
Yes, i had read it, but i didn't understand it. So CIF is what most/all
videoconferencing apps use, even Window$ Messenger? I guess that means
that 640x480 is only applicable for saving the video into a video file
on localhost, or something like that? Why do they even reference 640x480
as max resolution?

Thanks.