OT: FireFox shows source instead of running ..

FC4-user fc4-user at theorb.net
Wed Sep 14 21:58:00 UTC 2005

Jamie Bohr wrote:
> I have having a weird FireFox problem.  In stead of FireFox parcing the
> code I see the source code (right click on any web page and see "View
> Page Source").  A good example of this would be
> http://webclient2.omnipod.com/.  Any ideas?

Hi Jamie,

Here's a follow up on the omnipod site.

Telnet to webclient2.omnipod.com 80
GET / HTTP/1.1
HOST: webclient2.omnipod.com

You will receive the following headers followed by the requested
document.  Here are the supplied headers.

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 20:27:39 GMT
Server: Apache
Last-Modified: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:33:48 GMT
ETag: "195e3-18eb-43147c5c"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

Now, look at the last header.  It is not text/html, it is text/plain.
That is an express instruction to your browser to display the document
as received *without* any parsing.  (Actually, I'd bet the browser wraps
the document in a <pre></pre> tag set so that the browser's style
settings are applied to its display.)

Firefox is doing exactly as requested.  omnipod's webserver is
misconfigured. To wit, its index.html is delivered with a text/html
header, its index.shtml is not.  The Apache webserver has directives
that control that, they're just not set (correctly).

Hope that explains that in enough detail.

(Hey, Omnipod!!!)

:m)

PS.  didn't find any problem with spamcom.net