NFS puzzle - need help exporting a machines root file system

Robin Mordasiewicz robin at bullseye.tv
Fri Sep 16 03:59:09 UTC 2005

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 ramb at sonic.net wrote:

> I tried putting this in A's /etc/exports file:
>
> / B(rw,sync)
>
> on B when I tried to mount this filesystem I got this error (after a rather
> long delay):
>
> mount: A:/: can't read superblock

just a shot in the dark, but mebbe try adding the option no_root_squash to
your exports

/ B(rw,sync,no_root_squash)

> My goal is really this: I have several linux machines, from one
> machine I would like to be able to see all files on all machines.
>
> Maybe I could use samba to export the root file system from all
> machines - but I would like a more unix-ish solution if there is one.

This is not such a crazy idea, but as always be sure that you take all the
nessessary security precuations.

Sometimes this is done in large UNIX shops, i.e. with the NetAPP filer the
root file system is exported via NFS to an admin machine, and changes are
made on the admin machine, then from the admin machine rsh is used to issue
commands to the filer to re-read the config files. Logging into the filer
does not happen. This is not a rule, but is an experience that I have seen
in a large ISP.