GUI Newsreader

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Sep 16 19:44:53 UTC 2005

Paul Smith wrote:

>>>Why not to use Google Groups at:
>>>
>>>http://groups.google.com/
>>>
>>>If you have got a GMail account, you can post from there.
>>
>>Does groups.google.com support binaries and batch download/uploads like
>>Pan and nntp?
>

> I guess not, Robin, but it is very handy if one is only interested in text news.
>
> Paul

For text news, Thunderbird will work for nntp servers.  I have use it at
work.  It will work for binaries as well but again, it isn't great.  If
you follow some binary groups, then you need something that is batch
capable.

BTW, thank you for the google link.  We do some work here that is
followed on usenet but we cannot access the particular groups.  Problem
now solved, at least for the text part.

--
Robin Laing