xorg-x11 may have broken my system

Harry Nicholls hnicholls at sympatico.ca
Sun Sep 18 14:10:51 UTC 2005

To: Jim Cornette,

Thanks, your suggestion to use rpm to restore old packages worked fine.
After the xorg-x11*.FC4.48.1 update caused the xserver to fail to init :0.
my console access was unavailable.  Fortunately, I get into the linux box
from either my laptop or Windows box via telnet or VNC viewer.  The linux
box's vncserver display on :1 was working fine.  Following reading your
reply. I accessed a Fedora mirror site and downloaded all the rpms for
xorg-x11*.FC4.45  and used your suggestion of rpm -Uvh with the -oldpackages
option.  Xserver :0 now work fines again.

Thanks for helping the rest of us learn.

Harry Nicholls